Saturday, March 15, 2008

Couscous - quick, easy and delicious!

I have eaten Couscous before in middle-eastern restaurants, at dinner parties etc, but it never caught my attention as it did when I had it at our friend’s in Maine. Nicole had made Couscous one of the days which caught my attention just by its looks; it was looking so pretty and colorful. She had vegetables and beans in it - looked very healthy too. I noticed her twin girls like it and were eating it by themselves. Later, I had a taste of it during lunch and instantly fell in love with it.

I knew I had to get the recipe and try it out at home. Nicole was very kind to share the recipe.

Right after we returned home, I went and bought “Near East Whole Grain Couscous” from a kosher store nearby and tried it out. It was so good and so satisfying. DH is always a bit skeptical about trying new things… but he loved it too. Now it’s a staple in our house.

I have made this so many times now. We have had it as an entree and also as a side dish. Every time it’s a hit!

So, I have stocked up my pantry with whole grain couscous from Trader’s Joe, because I know I’ll be using this very often from now on.

Thanks for the recipe Nicole!

Ingredients:

1 packet Couscous (I used Near East Couscous; any other brand should work fine too.)

Olive oil – 2 tbs
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Garlic – 2 small cloves chopped
Carrot – 1 small; diced into small cubes (I used frozen)
String Beans – 4 or 5, cut into small pieces (I used frozen)
Corn – ½ cup frozen or fresh (I used frozen)
Scallions – 3 or 4; sliced thin
Garbanzo or Chickpeas – ½ can or ½ cup
Black beans – ½ can or ½ cup
Lemon Juice – ½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Note: Feel free to add any of your favorite veggies. I’m sure it’ll work with any veggies as long as they don’t turn too mushy.

Method:

Prepare couscous per the instructions on the package. Instead or Olive oil or butter, I used grapeseed oil (Nicole's tip :)) and added a pinch of salt to the water.

In a large skillet, heat Olive oil over a medium high heat and sauté garlic and Onions

Once the onions turn soft, add carrots, beans, corn and continue sautéing till the veggies cook. Takes about 4-5 minutes.

Once the veggies are cooked, add the scallions, chickpeas, black beans.

Add salt and pepper per your taste stir and sauté for a couple more minutes.

While this is cooking, fluff the couscous with a fork and add the couscous to the skillet. Mix everything together.

Turn off the stove, add the lemon juice, mix well and let it sit for a few minutes.

Serve warm or cold as an entrée or a side dish.

Delicious!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!