Thursday, February 14, 2008

Plum Cake Quest

My dear husband, Dantu loves loves loves cakes!
He’s a very generous man with most of the things, but when it comes to sharing cakes – No No No!

I was never a baker before marriage. When I saw how much DH loves cakes, I started to bake for my DH and started to really enjoy it. Today, I love baking! If I am stressed, you can find me baking in the kitchen :). I love the aroma in my kitchen when I open the oven door – it’s so comforting. Always puts a smile on your face.

My quest for this recipe started around 5 years ago when I saw my husband’s love affair with Nilgiri’s Plum Cake. He absolutely loves it. So I started searching for recipes, modified some using cocoa powder etc. I have tried many recipes of plum cake over the years. Though I have not been successful in replicating Nilgiri’s Plum cake exactly, this is the closest I have gotten. Nilgiri’s cake is a bit more darker than mine, but I bet my cake tastes as good as the Nilgiri’s as I put in all my hard word and my love into it. Right Honey?
If anybody knows the recipe for Nigliri’s cake, please do share, I would greatly appreciate it.

My husband loves this cake and I usually make this in big batches – 4 at a time.

This recipe has evolved over the years and I have included a little bit from many recipes which I found over the net and books. Unfortunately, I haven’t kept a good track of the sources, but a big thank you to all who publish their recipes on the net.

So, here’s the recipe.

Ingredients:

Golden Raisins – 1.5 cups
Tutty-Fruity – 2.5 cups
Rum – 1 Cup (I used Meyer’s Rum as that’s what I had at home)
Broken Cashews – 1.5 cups
Broken Walnuts – 1 cup
Broken Almonds – 1.5 cups

Butter – 2 cups (4 sticks)
Eggs -12
Sugar – 4 cups + 1 cup for caramel
Vanilla – 4tsp

All purpose flour – 4 cups
Baking powder – 3 tsp
Salt – 3 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
Cloves powder – 1 tsp
Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
Nutmeg powder – 1 tsp

Method:

Soak the raisins and tutty-fruity in the rum for atleast 12 hours (I sometimes soak it for a week – things don’t always go according to your plan :))

Keep the Eggs and butter out on the counter the night before to ensure they are at room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 350 degree F with a rack in the center of the oven.

In a large clean mixing bowl, sift together all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, clove and nutmeg powders.

Prepare the caramel – In a saucepan, add 1 cup of sugar and 2 tbs of water and bring this to a boil on high heat. When the sugar starts to caramelize at the outer edges, (DO NOT stir at this point else the sugar will start to crystallize) reduce heat to a medium high and swirl the saucepan a couple of times if needed. Within a few(5-7) minutes the entire sugar will melt and turn to a dark brown color and start to boil. At this point turn off the heat and slowly add 1 cup of water stirring at the same time. Make sure everything is completely dissolved. Your caramel is done. Let it cool.
The entire process takes only 5-7 mins, so be close to the stove.

Drain the soaked dry fruits. Mix them with the nuts and 3 tbs of all purpose flour (This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake).

In another large clean mixing bowl using a hand held mixer (I used my kitchen aid mixer for this with a paddle attachment) beat the butter and 4 cups sugar till it is light and fluffy, add the eggs one-by-one and mix it well. Add Vanilla and slowly pour in the caramel and mix well on a slow setting.

Add this liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well with a rubber spatula. Now add to the mixed batter the floured dry fruits and nuts and mix well with the spatula.

Grease the baking pans with butter, place parchment papers at the bottom of the pans and butter them too. Flour the greased baking pans.

I use 2 bread loaf pans and 2 8 inch spring foam baking pans.

Pour the cake batter into greased and floured baking pans.

Bake the cake at 350 for an hour or till the toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the pan (may take a few more minutes depending on your oven).

Once the cakes are done, remove from the oven and cool them for 20 mins. At this point, you can pour a little brandy (1/3 cup) over the cakes – this adds more moisture and flavor to the cake.

Remove the cake from the cooled pans and you can pack these in parchment paper and store in air tight containers.

The cakes stay good for a month or so depending if they last for that long. :)

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have witnessed Gowri baking the Plum Cake. All I can say is 'WOW'. The outcome was incredible. She wraped my cake and instucted to eat after a week, the aroma, the ingrdients and the looks, one week wait felt like a month.
Once the cake was unwraped between 3 of my friends it did take no more than 30 minutes from start to finish. Only sad part was the the rest of the dinner went straight to the freezer for another day.
I must say Gowri's recipe is great and easy to follow.
Great job Gowri.......Chandresh

Anonymous said...

There are a thousand holiday season fruit cakes with famous names like Neimus Markus etc.
I made mine with the Gowri recipe and I am baking my own for holidays to come and some extra for friends. Try it, its worth it.

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Leila said...

Your recipe for fruit cake dear Gowri is the best I have ever made ,thank you .I lived in Bangalore and my family liked the Nilgris Xmas cake very much.You did a lot of hard work to perfect the recipe because this I find is the nearest to that in taste! the cakes got over in no time.Being away in Canada and being able to make this makes me happy.Congrats!

Lakshmi, Scarsdale, NY said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe Gowri. I tried this during the holidays and it turned out delicious! The steps are very detailed and easy to follow - specially the caramel since it was my first time making caramel. The next time though, I will make sure I let it sit for a few days before indulging!

Anette said...

Another huge fan of the Nilgiris plum cake having been born and raised in blore. Will bake this Xmas and leave feedback thank you Gowri..your husband sure is a lucky man.